Brubaker-Mann, Inc. began production in June 1950 when two
cousins, Ronald Brubaker and William Mann, conceived a new product – naturally
colored rock to be used as a roofing material.
Since the only colors available at that time were white and gray the
cousins convinced another relative to try red rock for his roof in
Claremont. The new color attracted
attention and was in demand almost immediately.
Since then, the product line has greatly expanded and has shifted from
roofing materials to landscaping materials.
The original mill in Barstow consisted only of an old
crusher (circa 1900), a wooden screen, and a dilapidated bucket elevator. At this time, the rock was broken with sledge
hammers and loaded by hand onto a small truck. However, over the years the company has been
able to upgrade its total line of equipment, which now includes two Extec S-5
screens, a C-12 jaw crusher, and an X44 cone crusher.
Ronald Brubaker retired in 1979 after 29 years in the
business and sold his share to William Mann.
Mr. Mann was involved in the daily operations of the business for 56
years until he passed away in August 2006.
Dorothy Mann, Mr. Mann’s wife, became the sole owner of Brubaker-Mann,
Inc. after his passing. Julie Clemmer,
Mr. and Mrs. Mann’s daughter, has worked at Brubaker-Mann, Inc. for 31 years
and is the current President.
Brubaker-Mann Inc. has maintained a niche in the marketplace
for almost 60 years by successfully taking advantage of strong economic
conditions in order to offset the impact of less favorable periods.